MEGALIVE CAROTENOID COMPLEX PLUS 2*30S
- Glaucoma, cataracts, and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) are ocular diseases that disproportionately affect persons over the age of 60 years worldwide and are recognised as the three leading causes of blindness for this population group. The treatment options are few and usually not successful in restoring the vision back.
- Elevated plasma levels of antioxidants have a protective benefit against oxidative stress, which has been implicated as the major contributor to the development of each of these ocular disorders.
Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Beta-Carotene
Macular pigment is composed primarily from the Xanthophylls Lutein and Zeaxanthin, also members of the Carotenoid family. Their antioxidant properties, as well as their ability to filter short-wavelength light, may help to protect the outer retina and retinal pigment epithelium from oxidative stress and aid in cell membrane stability.
- They act like "sunglasses", protecting the critically important central sight from damaging light waves. They also protect the blood vessels in the macular area. By virtue of these actions, they prevent the onset and also retard the progression of AMD. Lutein may also have additional anti-inflammatory action.
- Since Carotenoids are not produced in the body, they need to be consumed in our diet or as nutritional supplements. Supplemental dietary intake of Beta-Carotene showed protective benefits against cataracts in the Blue Mountain Eye study.
Bilberry & Grape Seed Extract
Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus L.) is one of the richest natural sources of anthocyanins. These polyphenolic components give bilberry its blue/ black colour and high antioxidant content, and they are believed to be the key bioactives responsible for the many reported health benefits of bilberry.
- It has a long history of use for eye disorders and in promoting vision. There have been numerous studies of the effects of bilberry on various aspects of vision and ocular disorders, including cataract, retinopathy, macular degeneration, and night vision.
- Grape seed extract is rich in another group of pigments called as flavonoids which also act as antioxidants and may help in AMD. These are very powerful antioxidants and also protect the blood vessels in the retina by making them less fragile.
MEGALIVE CAROTENOID COMPLEX PLUS is a perfect combination of Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Beta-Carotene, Bilberry and Grape Seed Extract, used classically to maintain healthy vision as you age. They work individually and in synergy to achieve greater health benefits.
1. Rhone M. and Basu A. Phytochemicals and age-related eye diseases. 2008. Nutrition Reviews. 66(8): 465-472.
2. Shrikant Deshpande. Role of anti-oxidants in prevention of age-related macular degeneration. 2012. J. Med. Nutr. Nutraceut. 1(2): 83-86.
3. Krishnadev N., Meleth A.D. and Chew E.Y. Nutritional supplements for age-related macular degeneration. 2010. Curr. Opin. Ophthalmol. 21(3): 184-9.
4. Chu W.K., Cheung S.C.M., Lau R.A.W. and Benzie I.F.F. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition. 2011. CRC Press.